Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pokemon Party!

We celebrated Jackson's 7th birthday by having a Pokemon pool party last Saturday. We had a great time!

 I had been planning the party for quite a while but I waited until about a week before the party to go buy Pokemon plates and decor at Party City.  When I got there I saw that they didn't sell anything for Pokemon parties and neither did anyplace else in the city. So now I was going to have to make up everything on my own since it was kind of late to order stuff online and plus I really just hate paying shipping! That's where Dollar Tree and Pinterest comes in!

I'll break down what I made/bought for the party and how much it cost. 
(Sorry for the not so great pics! I didn't want to bring my camera to the pool so these are from an iPhone)

 Pokemon Cupcake Holder (<link to the blog I got the idea from)

I got this idea from Pinterest. It cost me about $6 to make. It's made from 3 silver platters and 2 glass candlesticks from Dollar Tree. I spray painted the bottom tray and candlestick white, the middle tray black, and the top candlestick and tray red. I used E6000 glue to put it together but it didn't dry very well because of the paint, so I ended up using a high temp glue gun to secure it.




Pokemon goody bags and personalized Pokemon cards

I copied this idea from my friend Katy, who had a Pokemon party for her son a couple of months ago. Its white lunch bags with red construction paper squares glued on. I used my Cricut and card stock to make the circles. I spent a little over a dollar on the bags and everything else was free because I already had it : )

 The cards were made from this website. It was really easy to do. I printed them on cardstock and had 8 of them laminated at our local school supply store for only 50 cents!

Pokemon Pinata
 For the pinata we bought a beach ball and black, white, and red crepe paper from the Dollar Tree.  We found a recipe for paper mache and over 5 days we layered newspaper strips that had been dipped in a mixture of flour and water on the beach ball, with a day in between each layer for drying. We had some spray glue that we used to attach the crepe paper. We spent $4 on the pinata. (well, not including the candy!)

Here are a few pics of him opening his presents : )



   I found the idea to make little signs for the food on Pinterest from this website. I just found the pictures on the internet and copied them into a word document.


(These say Dewott-er, Squirtle Juice, and Prinplup Popsicles)
 
 I bought red and white plates, forks, napkins, and both the red and white tablecloths from the Dollar Tree. I also got Babybel cheese because I think it resembles a Pokemon ball and my kids like them. You can kind of see them on the right under the tablecloth that was blown over : )

This is a pic of  the banner I made. I found some red paper balloon cutouts at the Dollar Tree that were perfect circles with a little triangle sticking out. I simply cut off the triangles and used my Cricut to cut out the white circles and the letters. I bought the black ribbon from Walmart for about $1. So I spent $2 on the banner. (you can click on the pic for a little bit better pic)
 
If I had to guess I'd say I spent about $20 on supplies (not including food) for the party. Jackson had a really good time so I would say it was a success!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great ideas! Planning my son's 8th Bday Pokemon pool party in August and I will definitely be using some of your ideas :)
Daniella C (mom of 3 boys!)

Alyssa said...

What was the website you used to make the pokemon cards? I REALLY love these ideas!! :) THNX

Brooke said...

Hi Alyssa!

The link is embedded in the post. If you did a google search for "personalized pokemon cards" you could find it as well.

Brooke

Katie said...

Love the pokemon pinata and the personalized cards!! We did a pokemon party this year too.I'm not super crafty so I didn't make everything. But I found that it was cheaper to find pokemon party bags and favors on ebay than buy them at a party supply store. There are lots of sellers, http://www.ebay.com/usr/772kt included.

Yes I'm That Mom (est. 2004) said...

Hi fellow Brooke! I tried to make the pokemon card on that that website but can not for the life of me get it to print (have a Mac and has PC "right click" instructions to save/print) any pointers? you made an amazing party - bet they all had a blast!!!

Brooke