Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Father's World

We started school this week!

I was scared to make big plans and make lessons that I wasn't sure were going to work for us so I figured we would just start and learn by trial and error. So far that is going great! I haven't wasted any time making lesson plans or writing out strict schedules to follow. I just try it out and if it works I write it down. Now, I am only on day 2, so I don't know if this approach is going to continue to work or not, but I like it so far!

The boys are loving My Fathers World. Here are a few of the things we worked on today:

Kyle found a globe ball at the Dollar General and I used it to cut up and show the boys how and why maps can be distorted compared to globes. It really helped them "get" it. ( I need to remember to take more pictures!)
We also worked on our John 3:16 poster! Tyler said, "This is fun Mom", which I never heard from him when we did A Beka!

I bought Applications of Grammar for the boys to do for English but we barely got throught the first lesson! It was really hard. I am going to have to piece together another English curriculum for them out of some old A Beka books I found in the resource room. We are gonna review 5th grade for about 8 weeks and then go into 6th.

Math is going as well as can be expected. I am not really impressed with the DIVE dvd. I think the guy teaching could make things a little clearer and go along more with what is in the book. We'll use it for a while longer and see if things get better!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great idea to cut up a globe ball to teach about maps! Smart momma :D Have fun in ECC!!

Anna P said...

That was a good idea to cut up a blow up globe-wish I had thought of that! those first few weeks are FULL but fun =)

Anonymous said...

I am switching from A Beka to MFW ECC as soon as we finish the year I have. I also hope to hear my boys say that school is fun. :) I am very interested in following your year!

Virgnina